Monday, October 11, 2010

Create It: Candy Corn Garland

Every 6 months me and my sisters get together to do a little craft. This year my mom and I came up with the same idea, triangle flag garland.  We each had a little different idea of what to do, but since I don't have kids (she found a cute garland for a kids room), we opted to do a Halloween garland.

Candy Corn Halloween Garland
Step 1: Gather supplies




You will need:
  • Burlap fabric
  • Template (make your own)
  • Orange, yellow & white paint
  • Paint brushes
  • Twine
  • Sewing machine
  • Newspaper

Step 2: Cut out triangles
Create a template, but cutting out a piece of thick paper into a triangle.  Your triangle can be whatever size you want.  Ours were about 12 inches from bottom to tip.
Using your template cut out burlap triangles.
Tip: Use straight pins to hold the pattern on the burlap.  I could only cut out 2 at a time, but if you have better scissors you might be able to do more.

How many to cut?  This depends on how long you want the garland and if you are going to space out the triangles.  I did 2 different styles.  I made one where the triangles were touching and 2 others that had about 6 inches between.  A great idea is to lay out the triangles along the wall or mantle you will be hanging them from (don't forget to leave room for draping).

Step 3: Paint
Candy corns have 3 colors in order from bottom (thickest part) to top (thinnest point): Orange, yellow & white. Be creative here.  My sister did a lot of white.  My mom wanted each candy corn to look the same.  I wanted to use bright colors while they opted for rustic colors.  You can also be heavy on the paint getting a more solid color or you can be light so you see more burlap.  Don't worry about perfection.  It looks good with a little variety.
Don't forget to put your newspaper down so you don't make a mess on your table.

Step 4: Dry
If you go light on the paint they dry very quickly.  Most were dry before I finished painting the next one.  But make sure they are completely dry before you throw them into the sewing machine.


Step 5: Sew candy corns to twine
Using a zigzag stitch sew the triangle to the twine.  I made 3 garlands of different lengths, on the first one I sewed the twine to the back of the triangles so it would be hidden, the next 2 I sewed it on front.  I preferred the front, but either looks good.



Step 6: Love your creative self & Decorate
You are finished, now find a hallway, staircase, mantle or wall to decorate with your new candy corn garland.
Drap along a table edge

Hang from the ceiling

No comments: