Monday, January 17, 2011

Sickness and Bedrooms

Sorry there was no Etsy stuff on Friday.  From Wednesday to Sunday I only left my bedroom a few times. One of those times was to visit my doctor who did 4 different blood tests and a few different swab tests. By the way, have you ever had to have an influenza test?  It is truly the worst medical test they can put a person through. They take this swab which was basically a 12" long Q-tip and shoved it up my nose, pass my sinuses and into my skull to say hello to my brain. I think they were testing my brain matter to see if it had the flu.  It is the most uncomfortable test. My mom kept telling me to go to my happy place. Let me tell you, there is no happy place for this type of test. I heard rumors they are going to start using it as torture in all the new spy movies. I'd give up Daniel Craig in 2 seconds.
Surprisingly, after torturing me to tell Craig's secrets, I did not have the flu. I had strep. A prescription for antibiotics and orders to stay in bed for at least 48 hours I was back home in bed the ENTIRE weekend.  I watched movies, slept, watched Hulu, slept, took my meds with food every 12 hours, slept and slept some more. My body and my bed have now become one. And as I sat, laid and basically just lunged around my bedroom I really wanted to redecorate. Maybe redecorate isn't the right term. I want to decorate my bedroom. So I began a search. And what did I learn...
  1. I don't like 4 poster beds. I don't want to have to deal with drapery. I don't think it makes the bed or the room more romantic.  And really the "posters" are just a waste of wood.
  2. I don't want my room to be too feminine. I am not a girly girl so I don't want a lot of lace or lavender colored walls. I don't share my bed with a man right now, but someday I will. As I looked at photos of some super girly bedrooms, I instantly felt sorry for the dude who has to sleep in them.
  3. I don't want to look like I am at the beach when I live in the mountains. I like the beach as much as the next person, but I am not doing one of the many "nautical" themed rooms I see on every design show (probably not any theme for that matter).
  4. White is nice, but it isn't always right. I think white can be done well, but I would be afraid to sleep in an ALL white bed or live in an ALL white room. Touches of white - OK, but the entire room - I'd be the first kid to scuff up the walls or get spaghetti sauce on the duvet cover.
  5. And ultimately, I am a simple girl. Just a few pillows, clean lines with a little splash of something unexpected or a pop of color and I am a happy clam (ignore the nautical reference).  My bedroom should be true to my style even if (occasionally) I like the other designs.
    These are little more like it...






My favorite
Photos found on Better Homes & Gardens

No comments: