Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Oh My Goodness, These are Delicious

I found this delightful recipe for Raspberry Friands on What Katie Ate. What is a friand? I don't even know how to pronounce it, but they are the most delicious dessert I have ever made. Brunette giggled that I baked something I can't pronounce, but they looked cute and they called for an ingredient (almond meal) I had never heard of so I wanted to give it a try.
Luckily we have the internet...need a little more info on friands.

I was a little nervous about how they would turn out because the recipe's measurements are in grams. So I am saving you the trouble of figuring it out. See my measurements in cup below (feel free to double check my work).
I didn't have a friand pan, so I just used a mini muffin pan and adjusted the bake time (bake for about15 min). The first batch was a little difficult to get out of the pan (cut-around-the-edge-and-scoop-out type of difficult). The second batch Brunette suggested using mini muffin cups (Brunette is so smart). If you cook the friands a little longer you get a nice golden brown top which is slightly crunchy which we fought over like we fight over the corner piece from the brownie pan.

Note: Use fresh fruit. I used up all my fresh raspberries, but still had extra batter so I used frozen blackberries. The blackberry friands taste just great, but they don't look as good because the blackberries thawed and kind of looked like they melted, creating a runny black smear.

Note Note: I found almond meal in the bulk area of Whole Foods.

My American Measurement Recipe (can't promise anything)
10 egg whites
1 1/3 cup butter (melted)
1 1/3 cup almond meal
3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup flour

No comments: